Home > Biker Forums > Relationship > Are you a success? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Are you a success?
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 04:48

i am just curious as to how many people think they are successes and how many do not. why do you think you are successful... or why don't you consider yourself to be a success.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 06:53

Success is in the eye of ones self. If a person has no regrets and is happy with the life that they have chosen then that is success. If you can look at your mistakes and learn from them and then realize that they helped make the person you see in the mirror. And you are happy with that person at that time then to me you are a great success. So with that said I am a great success at this time but there is always room for me to improve and try to keep reaching higher.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 08, 2006 11:24

Success is a very hard word or thing to define . I retired at 47 got bored and got a job . Is that success or was I smart to get a job I could get a pension from . As I go thru my life if I touched family and friends hearts by making them laugh or being there for them when they needed someone to listen or share a good or bad time with . To touch a strangers heart by a kind word or a smile . To me that would be part of a success . If there are more people who think of me as a good person out weighs the people I hurt in life ( and we all hurt someone at some point in time )That is a kind of success of sorts . But when its my time and I pass the bounds of this earth . I hope when I get to that Pearly Gate I get to go on that long line waiting to get in rather then the short one . When St. Peter finishes reading what I hope are many pages of my life he looks up with a laugh and a smile and says good JOB ! opens the gate and says go enjoy your new life . Then I will know I was a success on earth . Until then I hope I make more people laugh and smile then I make Cry or hurt . I hope the good friends I have made will think of me in the same way ( a good friend ) .This is my idea of success . May your success be found in what ever way you interpret success .

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 08, 2006 06:01

Hey Stillme...Interesting topic here my friend! Thought I would share this with you from my BeliefNet Inspiration today...

Today's Quote
There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.
-Christopher Morley

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 06, 2006 18:45

I think I am now. I have finally made it to a place in life where I know I can make other people's lives better. Whether it is helping a new mother bring a new life into the world....or holding the hand of a frightened dying person. I know I make a difference.

Donna

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 06, 2006 14:03

Well...

I am a riches to rags story. No biggie really. I think my happiness factor increased a good one hundred fold in the process.

Success is subjective. I like to take it day by day.

AJ

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 18:04

Angelrider800 write:
Bugger, I'm definitely impressed with your response! :)

Thanks, every now and again I get lucky. :)

afterall, am only human.
I'm doing ok, in my book. :)

And that's what its all about.

stillme67 write:
i try to at least be better than i was the day before. don't always accomplish it, but i try.

Stillme67 I just noticed that your nic seems to follow in line with that philosphy. Thanks for the good words. Your question was a good one, deserving of thought. One day at at time brother, as long as the effort is there to succeed, and do right by others, it doesn't matter what the level of success is.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 13:09

buggerbender - man u took the words right outta my head! success to me is a constantly moving mark from one day to the next. some days i feel like i have hit the mark, others i think i am just patting myself on the back for so-so accomplishments, and still other days it seems that mark of success is a million miles away. but it's something that i truly work at everyday. i try to at least be better than i was the day before. don't always accomplish it, but i try.

to all the others that posted responses, they are all great answers. thanks for taking the time to post.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 07:53

buggerbender write:
This morning I once again succeeded at making it out of bed for yet another day. Yesterday I did the same thing. So success to me is measurable to the base-line standard with which we all set our goals. Sometimes one day at a time, other times a life long commitment. I have been many places and seen many things, some of which I smile each time I think back, others I simply wish I could purge from my memories forever. I've done allot in my life, more than most, not as much as some. I have knowledge in my head, some of which I often wonder if I will ever really use. But I also have so many more questions about so many things. I have plenty of paper adorning my wall with my name on it, yet I still need to go to the store, since once again my cupboards lie bare. Some days I look into the mirror and wonder just who it is staring back at me, other days I simply say hello to an old friend, and compadre as we discuss the day's goals with one another. I have given others reason to laugh and to smile, yet I have sat alone in darkness and wept like a child. My glass is forever half full, but I am forever persistent to remain a work in progress. For complacency is my waterloo, and final accomplishment my eventual demise.

Successful, me? "Yes" and "no" I suppose. I'm happy, and content with where I am, and with who I am, but that's not to say I won't continue to reach just a little bit higher at the same time. After all, I did manage to get my shoes on the right feet this morning, so life after all is indeed good...

Bugger, I'm definitely impressed with your response! :)

I guess success is a personal idea...am I a success....hmmmm...I've succeeded in a lot of things, and failed in a few as well....I, afterall, am only human.
I'm doing ok, in my book. :)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 06:52

yes, i consider myself a success....i'm still alive and able to fuction, i'm not out in the rain, not in jail and my children are grown and are wonderful parents to their babies....yes-i will say i succeeded...i don't have a fancy house, car, bike or alot of money in the bank, but thru it all i found i still had the ability to love and be loved.....wouldn't change it for the world.....nice topic

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Apr 02, 2006 11:17

This morning I once again succeeded at making it out of bed for yet another day. Yesterday I did the same thing. So success to me is measurable to the base-line standard with which we all set our goals. Sometimes one day at a time, other times a life long commitment. I have been many places and seen many things, some of which I smile each time I think back, others I simply wish I could purge from my memories forever. I've done allot in my life, more than most, not as much as some. I have knowledge in my head, some of which I often wonder if I will ever really use. But I also have so many more questions about so many things. I have plenty of paper adorning my wall with my name on it, yet I still need to go to the store, since once again my cupboards lie bare. Some days I look into the mirror and wonder just who it is staring back at me, other days I simply say hello to an old friend, and compadre as we discuss the day's goals with one another. I have given others reason to laugh and to smile, yet I have sat alone in darkness and wept like a child. My glass is forever half full, but I am forever persistent to remain a work in progress. For complacency is my waterloo, and final accomplishment my eventual demise.

Successful, me? "Yes" and "no" I suppose. I'm happy, and content with where I am, and with who I am, but that's not to say I won't continue to reach just a little bit higher at the same time. After all, I did manage to get my shoes on the right feet this morning, so life after all is indeed good...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Apr 02, 2006 08:59

Man, that's a question, at least for me has 2 answers. I was a Drug counselor for 29 years and retired this past October, so in that sense I was very successful and would like to think I helped a few people along the way. But my personal life is another story. I think from now and until I ride my chopper off into the sunset will determine how I feel about that.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 01, 2006 19:37

great question! yes, i can say i consider myself a success. i have learned from my mistakes and worked my ass off to be the person i am today. I am a better mother, daughter, sister, friend and some day i hope i am given the opportunity to be a better wife than i was the first time around. i truly love the life i live.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 00:48

I sat here staring at this topic, trying to define success. I see this as being relative to each person's self image as well as what they want from life. I have not married a billionaire super model yet, so maybe I am not a complete success, but I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a wonderful daughter, who is a happy child. This is all the success I require

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 10:12

Yes and no! Its all about perspective. While I have been successful in surviving my lifes particular twists and turns--(I did a 180 from the destructive path I was on)--there are a few goals I have not achieved. I feel more like a "Work In Progress" always changing, ever evolving, and working toward meeting my goals. It always makes life more interesting if you strive to have fun along the way--so that is what I make sure I do. I feel I am still relatively young, so I have a lot of rules to break yet!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 16:45

stillme67 write:
i am just curious as to how many people think they are successes and how many do not. why do you think you are successful... or why don't you consider yourself to be a success.

Well I will tell you when you tell meeee...lmfao you go first!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 08:58

you ARE feeling full of yourself this morning, aren't you, love? LOL....but this girl won't complain about your big head....glad it is a good day!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 08:55

Interesting topic here. So I guess I will join in.

I consider myself a success for many reasons. The 1st is I was dealt a very bad hand of cards in life at an earlier age. But I managed to play that crap hand of cards rather well and make something of myself. I have a good job, A great wife, a nice place to call my own, and enjoy life now.

May not seem like much too most, but it means allot to me. And in the end that is all that really matters.

Great topic. I will keep an eye on it. Want to see what members have to say.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 06:20

Define success? The thickness of a your Wallet, relationships, your family?? The % are successful, we dot are eyes & cross are T's in this game of life. What one calls successful another might call it failure. When people with few words, get big results, i think that's success?? People should walk into a room with there heads held high & there shoulders forward, looking others in the eye & be respect full. Most of the time that will remove the other % in our life's. Chit yal I'm successfully, were here aren't we????

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 05:30

Yes I think I am a success. My x husband made about $100,000 yearly// I walked away from it. I make less that that and I live in an expensive area but I pay my own bills with my own paycheck and live on my own terms. I saved up money in a savings account for my bike and paid cash for it. I am independent, happy and got a pretty good life. I have something that money can never buy...