Home > Biker Forums > Friends > Lady Riders........... Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Lady Riders...........
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Feb 07, 2006 09:26

New to this site. As well as posting in forum. Looking for some advice on how you feel about a female my age getting her own bike? I have always been the passenger, which I love. A few years ago I learned how to ride a dirt bike. It was a real challenge for me at first. I never rode when I was younger. Let me know what you think?

rideks

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Aug 11, 2006 15:37

Hello, I think it is great us ladies riding bikes, it is about time us ladies took to the road and showed our fellow guy riders just how good we actually are.

Keep riding free

x

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Aug 09, 2006 17:03

hello lord tank. would love to hear from you again. am not a paying member so have few options.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Aug 06, 2006 08:11

Hey, Contessa,

Do it! If you wait to feel comfortable on one - it will never happen! Just do it. I'm 5'3", I didn't ever sit on ANY road bike until I was over 50 - so no excuses. I had a great little bike in my '05 Honda Spirit 750 ( it's for sale - hint, hint!). It was a great transitional bike and I would have been fine on it forever - I just had to have a Harley - what we gals will do for "image" - LOL !
I thought I wanted a LowRider too but after talking and looking and talking and looking for about 2 months, I found that the Dyna couldn't be lowered enough and the dealership still warrant it. That is why I went with the FLSTF lowered nearly 3 inches!! - so cool looking ( at least to me!). I haven't regretted a day of it. Wonderful low center of gravity is easy to balance, easy handling. Yes, I notice the weight (700 + lbs.) when I am parking or doing some SLOW manuevering and I had to get used to dragging the boards from time to time - that can give you a butt pucker at first !!
Girl friend - go for it ! All I can say is get something that has some power to keep up. I had a little used Vulcan 500 for a short time ( only put 500 miles on it) - it just wasn't heavy or gutsy enough on the hyway and you couldn't find any pretties to fit it! I have a friend who has a Yahmaha 650 and have ridden it - seemed top heavy to me. For me - the Honda 750 had better balance to it. The Vulcan 800 - too tall. All are pretty and great bikes, you'll get comfortable with any of them after you get on it and start down the road a few times.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Aug 02, 2006 06:56

Group rides are great, but going it alone is nice too. You have no one's agenda but your own to think about. You can stop when and where you want. I've met some great people when stopping for a beverage or bite to eat. Gals that ride their own are becoming more and more numerous but we are still a pretty unique group. We all have these things in common - We're independent, fun loving, and adventurous. Several of us gals (we were all over 40 before getting our scooters) get together before "bike nite" and take an afternoon ride, then end up at bike nite and visit with everyone. Most of us gals have Harley's but there are Honda and Yahmaha riders too. Sometimes we even let the guys come along - LOL !
I love riding behind a special guy but there is nothing like the freedom of having your own.
I live pretty far out of town, by the time I meet up with everyone to ride , I have already ridden 25 or 30 miles - it's great. So, I very seldom take a ride that isn't at least 60 miles long and usually longer. When I was learning, I didn't have anyone to take off and ride with out here. So, I would venture out on my own. I ended up doing a few 250 mile day rides by myself last summer. I was determined to learn. Next summer ( 2007) I want to do a road trip from Arakansas to Moab in May. If I can't find anyone who can take off and go with me - I'll do it myself. I am going to start seeing this great country from the back of my scooter. Going to get my FatBoy long distance comfortable and touring ready this winter. Any suggestions for touring on your own? I have a solo seat that is very comfortable for me and a luggage rack with hard leather saddlebags. Any suggestions on how to pack what I need onto the bike?? I'll be staying in motel rooms along the way - so don't need camping gear. What about a basic tool kit? I'm not much of a mechanic but shouldn't I pack one? I always did when I was hauling horses all over. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 06:38

Hey Diva,

If you would like to get together for a ride let me know. Read my profile.
Close.

The Lord

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 13:35

You are NEVER too old to learn to ride. Met a 67 y.o. woman out on a road trip last year that had just learned the previous year. She'd road behind her husband and decided that was enough. The oldest rider I've met was 78. She'd been riding since she was 18. She agreed with my philosophy. If you can balance a bicycle.............

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 22:48

crazee write:
I DID IT!!! I took the beginners riding class at the local Tech and passed!!! I have NEVER DRIVEN a m cycle before in my life!!! Now Wed going to get my temps hopefully by taking the written test at the DMV AND to top it off I got my Harley "Sunny" waiting for me in my garage just raring to go!!! If I can do it any woman can do it...trust me on this one!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 17:52

I DID IT!!! I took the beginners riding class at the local Tech and passed!!! I have NEVER DRIVEN a m cycle before in my life!!! Now Wed going to get my temps hopefully by taking the written test at the DMV AND to top it off I got my Harley "Sunny" waiting for me in my garage just raring to go!!! If I can do it any woman can do it...trust me on this one!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 08:39

Are you kidding me?? Life begins at 40 you are just a baby.. Live your life to the fullest, Let nothing hold you back from your dreams!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jun 11, 2006 11:32

Go for it! I'm 55 and just learned to ride and bought myself one for Mother's Day!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 06:31

Rides! Get your own bike! Age isn't nothing but how long you've stuck around. I love having my own. Freedom girl!
Peace.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 17:25

I'm taking the rider course in July, thats the earliest I could get in.

My biggest problem right now is I keep seeing all these bikes I want but I am very hesitant to purcahse one without riding it and don't want to ask someone to let me till I feel comfortable with one. This also confuses me on what kind of bike I want.
Course my dream bike is a HD Low Rider but my purse says NO WAY!
I really like the way the Vulcan's look with the Shadow's coming in a close second, then there is the V-Star's....I am so confused!

Give me your opinion peeps. And what is with all the accessories. Do I really need all the different kind of clothing?? I know, I'm a newbie, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 16:55

get yourself a bike of your own if you want. your man should support you in whatever decision you make.

i do highly suggest taking a m/c rider's course FIRST so you can get some supervised experience and professional instruction. no disrespect to your husband, but it is important to get some unbiased training. and, it doesn't matter how long a person has been riding, i still beleive everyone should take the course. i an an ex motorcycle police officer and i have had some good training. but i had not even sat on a m/c in over 25 years so i took the beginner's class again last summer before i bought my Harley. i'm glad i did, as i was pretty rusty and definitely needed the refresher.

i once heard an instructor say that he had been riding for 20 years before he took the course. but he did NOT have 20 years experience. he simply had 1 year experience, repeated 20 times.

i am in myrtle beach now and i am seeing a LOT of people (old and young) who should NOT be riding on the streets. many of them will end up getting themselves or someone else hurt. you don't have to be one of them.

~Slim

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 16:52

DirtyBikers4Eva write:
thunderunderme write:
I read a stat somewhere recently that right now 1 outta 3 bikes on the road are ridden by women....wow!
Must say I'm happy to be one of them!

We've come a long way baby!! Thankful for all the brothers who ride alongside us though and fix our bikes when something goes wrong.. LOL

Absofreakinlooootely! Wouldn't be worth riding at all if'n there were no brothers.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 02:07

thunderunderme write:
I read a stat somewhere recently that right now 1 outta 3 bikes on the road are ridden by women....wow!

We've come a long way baby!! Thankful for all the brothers who ride alongside us though and fix our bikes when something goes wrong.. LOL

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, May 16, 2006 11:24

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 21:36

Female riders are the fastest growing aspect in the motorcycle industry today.

Look for the void in ladies riding gear and clothes to fill rather quickly. I know of a few clothng lines that have hired some very knowledgable female enthusiasts to make things right.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, May 14, 2006 09:13

In the 70's seeing a woman on a bike was somewhat unique. But more and more I see Lady riders on all kinds of bikes big and small, and they are just as capable as the guys as riders. If you do a search you'll find several very good womens motorcycle organizations. These organizations are establishing themselves as a strong voice with the motorcycle industry as well. Particularly in the manufacturing of bikes that are better suited to the women riders. This helps in stead of many women having to modify their new bikes once they get them home just so they can safely ride them. Personally I welcome the Ladies into the sport. To me their is little matches a woman on a bike, and riding behind them is considerably safer since they don't spit into the wind nearly as often.

So the only question now is; "What are you waiting for??"

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 13:09

I'm interested in meeting some new woman friends ( I'm straight ) around my area to do some afternoon, early evening and some weekend riding with. Of course, the men are welcome too.