Home > Biker Forums > Family > Away from your family..... Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Away from your family.....
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 01, 2005 08:28

O.k. everyone...

I'm sure some of you have faced this at one time or another, so give me some feedback and help me through this time of need.

This past Thanksgiving was my first without being with my immediate family (children, parents, siblings, etc.).

When I followed my heart to move to Colorado, I thought I could handle the thought of not spending every holiday with them not to mention the typical family get-togethers in between.

This past Thanksgiving was very difficult for me...and now I'm wondering how I will handle the thought of possibly not spending time with them for the upcoming holidays later this month. (There is a possibily that a trip back to Ohio cannot be done. A wait-and-see situation).

Can you share with me how you were able to get through the seperation from your loved ones during the time of year when spending time with them is so strongly suggested?

-Rev

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 03, 2006 21:27

Roxie0215 write:
Rev...Hope everyhting is ok, I'm a pretty good listener if you need someone to talk to, ok?

Thanks, Roxie...

Never expected my X-mas Eve and X-mas would be spent on the road driving to Ohio, and Springer in jail...

Man...the things that can happen in such a short time.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Dec 27, 2005 09:15

I must say, it isn't easy. This Xmas my children were with Dad and I was home ill...just me and good ole Rudy (the dog). My parents are deceased and my only sister lives far away...so I am used to the holidays or at least every other holiday alone...but I have made peace with it. You do have to create your own traditions and know in your heart that you are with the ones you love, if just in mind and soul. I wish you the best.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Dec 25, 2005 17:59

Rev...Hope everyhting is ok, I'm a pretty good listener if you need someone to talk to, ok?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 19, 2005 08:35

Roxie0215 write:
Rev...Merry Christmas. Falcon gave some good advice. It's never easy being away from your family, but Springer is your family now, start new tradtions, keep in touch via email, pics, videos, cards...stay strong!

Thanks, Roxie...

We finally got a tree yesterday...we're both going through a 'bah-humbug' feeling about Christmas, but we made ourselves go out and get a tree.

Decorations were brought down from the attic, but we couldn't bring ourselves to decorate yet. Springer mentioned about decorating a little each night, so hopefully before this weekend it will be done! LOL!

I know I need to count my blessings and look at what I have instead of what I don't. It's just really hard at times when all you see and hear are people getting together with their families.

Thanks again,
-Rev

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 16, 2005 17:52

Rev...Merry Christmas. Falcon gave some good advice. It's never easy being away from your family, but Springer is your family now, start new tradtions, keep in touch via email, pics, videos, cards...stay strong!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 16, 2005 07:55

Rev, you take one day at a time and make new friends to share those special holidays with. I had many years of spending holidays without my parents and other relatives during thoes special day. Sometimes all I had was my two small sons and some very dear friends. My husband would be out on patrol in a submarine out under the Pacific Ocean. It's hard, especially when you come from a very close family as I did. Keeping in touch with your family any way you can will help. Just be thankful for your special someone who is there with you. Hope this helps.
Faye

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 21:11

Bob Hope spent many years away from his family as he gave his time during the holidays to cheer up the soldiers overseas.

Those in the military serving now, and those of times passed also spent the holidays away from their homes. Some even doing battle on a day the Prince of Peace was born.

I have a daughter I can never spend any more time with at any time because she has passed. Every holiday, every family birthday or gathering is hard. And there are others that have also lost loved ones, children, parents, brothers and sisters, close friends.

All of this doesn't make it any easier for those who will be missing their family this holiday season. Maybe we could all pray for each other and ask that we share health and happiness for all during this season and throughout the new year. I will.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 12:19

KinMonmouth write:
When you love someone..it's in your heart and in your soul. However far away they may be in flesh they are always right there with you. Keep them in your thoughts in everything you do and you won't be alone. They're thinking of you too.

You're so right, they may not be with you in person but they're always in your heart!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 09, 2005 13:49

After 20 years in the military, and living now in Colorado while my family is all in Washington state, here's my advice: Concentrate on what you have, not what you don't. On who you're with, not who you're not. Remember that they feel similarly. Talk to them on the p hone, at least long enough to say Happy (holiday) and I love you.
Some of the hardest things to do when you're away from family are to have bona fide vacations, because when you let the fact you're away from them run your life, you end up planning every trip around visiting them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think you understand my point.
It never really gets easier when you stop and actually think about it, you just concentrate on the people you're with more.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 09, 2005 10:11

When you love someone..it's in your heart and in your soul. However far away they may be in flesh they are always right there with you. Keep them in your thoughts in everything you do and you won't be alone. They're thinking of you too.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 08, 2005 10:50

dakotacee write:
Rev, you take one day at a time and make new friends to share those special holidays with. I had many years of spending holidays with my parents and other relatives during thoes special day. Sometimes all I had was my two small sons and some very dear friends. My husband would be out on patrol in a submarine out under the Pacific Ocean. It's hard, especially when you come from a very close family as I did. Keeping in touch with your family any way you can will help. Just be thankful for your special someone who is there with you. Hope this helps.
Faye

Thanks, Faye.

I can relate. I come from a close family, too, and if I'm not able to get back to Ohio, it will be the first ever holiday season that the entire family wasn't together.

I am finding new friends here in Colorado. It's a slow process...but it's going. :-)

Thanks again for the kind words. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has/is going through something like this....