Home > Biker Forums > Write articles to get free gold membership > My CBT Experience Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
My CBT Experience
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Aug 06, 2007 07:03

I have invested in all the right gear for motorcycling - safety first. So I turned up at the CBT centre with all the gear and no idea - literally!!

Before I knew it, the theory was over and we were starting up the bikes. There was 3 125?s and a scooter.

In theory, it was all very simple. Gently on the throttle, smoothly let out the clutch. Two bikes and a scooter glided forward and took their riders on their first solo ride. One stalled?.and stalled?.and stalled!! Yes, me! The instructor decided on one to one tuition for me! Eventually, I got the little bike going and practised, for a long time, riding round to get my balance. I wasn?t nervous - I just wasn?t very good at it. The others progressed in leaps and bounds. However, it wasn?t a race so I just plodded on at my own pace. Starting and stopping a motorbike are skills that need to be mastered and so is trusting the bike not to tip over or slide from under you. Eventually, my confidence built through the practise and I started enjoying it.

46 days later and I have finally completed the course. It hasn't taken me 46 days to complete, you understand, but it definitely didn't come easily either! I finished the course in 24 and a half hours over the 46 day period.

The worst part of the first road ride was my instructor being knocked off - YES really!! Some fool decided to bully his way out of a petrol station, with complete disregard for anyone in his way. He was ok but abandoned the ride until the following day.

My second ride out went much better. I really enjoyed it and wasn't at all nervous. I was worried about forgetting to do the life saver look, as I had been forgetting it on the yard, but I needn't have worried, it came quite naturally. I was instructed on directions and when we stopped for a break, I actually cried as I was so overcome with emotion. I still can't believe that I am capable of riding a motorbike.

I'm on a 125, until my test next year, and very proud!!

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 29, 2007 12:18

Hi Ladybird!
Thanks for the wink, I guess you live in Rosshire?
Do you ken Sheila in Kildary? she has a red Gpz500.
I did my test way back in 1983, it was much easier then, no CBT, just a thing called Star Rider, done on a Sunday afternoon at the North school playground in Wick!! Then it was straight on the road & no time limit for sitting part 2 (I think, but it was YEARS ago....)
Im up & down the A9 all the time as Me Julie' lives in Sneck', so maybe we will meet up some time, Karen is'nt a biker chick yet, but is attracted to the leather & boots aspect of biking, (oo-er!) so time will tell.
Did you do your CBT with the folk at the ice rink?
Sorry, im no longer a paid up member of BK.
Keep in touch,
Ross.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Aug 11, 2007 12:26

well done on passing your cbt, i dint find it as easy as everyone was saying it was. I was in full kit on the yard all day in the sun and it was killing me.
Finally passed and had a cbr 125 waitign for me at home, took her out 1st time, dropped her and didnt wanna get back on for months, thought nah riding not for me wioll stick to being pillion, 5000 miles later on the 125 i put in for test, passed in feb and now own a nice vfr 400.
It pays to stick it out even if it dont feel right