Home > Biker Forums > Travel > Tour of the US Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Tour of the US
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2005 07:09

I am planning a trip from AZ to vagas,to michigan to florida and back to AZ...any gals wanna ride....about 4 months...

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Nov 01, 2005 14:26

akfem99501 write:
LONG TOUR --- I am planning of leaving (??) when I am ready from Anchorage AK with final destination being KNOXVILLE, TN. This is what I might call my last big adventure. I plan to hit LA, Canyon, Reno, Jackson Hole, Salt Lake, Chicago, etc., to name a few to see old friends and things from old memories. I have no family anywhere to it is just me. If nothing else I would look to have a network of folks willing let me call to check in --- especially those good with bikes to help out if I am in a quandry although I am working with Ural for dealers cross country and AAA for off road places for single woman to stay. This is a major undertaking for me but I will not be detered. Yes, I know it is dangerous, but chit - life is dangerous. Think what a great journal I will have when all is said and done to give to friends and fellow bikers who might want to travel some of the same places. Motels to say or NOT, nice folks to meet, photos. This is a personal quest prior to the end of my life journey. If anyone is out there that might want to ride an hour or two on the way or would be willing to share a meal or say hello --- please, please write to me. I do not want this to be 15,000 miles of lonely. I need advice from those of you that have been on road trips --- things that you know are a MUST to take along. Sites you think are a must too see. Any advice is welcome. Scarlet Kittylee

I got on my Road King in Knik and didnt stop until I get here!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 07:13

akfem, check out the BK rally sites, there are two, one east coast and one central. That would be cool if you could include some of the BK people in your ride. I've got some sidecar experience too, and I'm willing to chat with you about the trip, setup, logistics. jerryjagharley at peoplepc dot c om. If you come around through Tx, give a holler, I'm sure there would be some ridin' time available. Funny story, about 26 years ago, at a bike show here in San Antonio, there was an FX that was completely filthy sitting with all the polished and shining show bikes. The guy had put a sign on it that read, "I don't understand, it was clean when I left Anchorage!" lmao
akfem, check out the BK rally sites, there are two, one east coast and one central. That would be cool if you could include some of the BK people in your ride. I've got some sidecar experience too, and I'm willing to chat with you about the trip, setup, logistics. jerryjagharley at peoplepc dot c om. If you come around through Tx, give a holler, I'm sure there would be some ridin' time available. Funny story, about 26 years ago, at a bike show here in San Antonio, there was an FX that was completely filthy sitting with all the polished and shining show bikes. The guy had put a sign on it that read, "I don't understand, it was clean when I left Anchorage!" lmao

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 21:08

Sounds like an awsome undertaking. I'm curious, is your Ural a side car rig? I took a trip back in 02 from Oregon to Nevada across Hwy 51 and on to Durango for the 4 corners rally in Ignacio, CO. I only had my HD Road King side car rig for a week before we all left and had to learn the ins and outs of riding with 3 wheels vs. 2. It was a great adventure, but a very different ride. 1st of all the dealer I bought my rig from didn't set up the side car correctly. The side car toe-in was not correct, so I was, you might say dragging the side car down the road. It was a real wrestling match and after 3800 miles I was almost an expert. We went on in following years to clock another 14,000 miles on the rig. I finally got it set-up correctly in Milwaukee at the HD 100 yr. anniversary. The folks in Milwaukee really knew their business. The bike's been a dream to ride ever since. I've semi-retired the side car rig for two wheels again since my wife passed this year. Am planning a memorial ride next spring/fall from Oregon to New Hampshire (Laconia rally) then on down the eastern seaboard through the south and zig zag back to Oregon across the U.S. attempting to hit major rallys along the way making new and visiting old friends along the way. Happy trails to you all. . .

If your taking the Ural as a side car rig, I can't urge you enough to make sure someone that really knows what they are doing sets it up so it tracks correctly or it will be a major wrestling match. Takes lots of upper body strength and much more focus than two wheels. But, It's a great ride and an awsome challenge.

Again, Happy trails . . .

wMw
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 07:54

I wish you both a safe journey.

akfem99501 , are you planning on riding a URAL on your trip? I'm intrigued by them. I've actually been considering getting one so I can take my 110 pound dog on trips with me.

One recommendation of safe places for a woman traveling alone to stay... recently a friend invited me on a trip to the Maine coast. She made reservations for us at a convent on the beach...My initial reaction was "Huh? Convent?" It was inexpensive, clean, safe, right ON THE BEACH!!! and after the initial tour of the grounds the nuns left us to enjoy the rest of our stay. I'd guess the nuns are still talking about me...their first ever guest to ride in on a bike!!

These places are all over the world. There is a book called Sanctuaries: The Complete United States--A Guide to Lodgings in Monasteries, Abbeys, and Retreats by Jack Kelly, Marcia Kelly that lists them by state with descriptions. I imagine some of them are in-your-face religion, but the one we stayed at wasn't.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 16, 2005 19:07

LONG TOUR --- I am planning of leaving (??) when I am ready from Anchorage AK with final destination being KNOXVILLE, TN. This is what I might call my last big adventure. I plan to hit LA, Canyon, Reno, Jackson Hole, Salt Lake, Chicago, etc., to name a few to see old friends and things from old memories. I have no family anywhere to it is just me. If nothing else I would look to have a network of folks willing let me call to check in --- especially those good with bikes to help out if I am in a quandry although I am working with Ural for dealers cross country and AAA for off road places for single woman to stay. This is a major undertaking for me but I will not be detered. Yes, I know it is dangerous, but chit - life is dangerous. Think what a great journal I will have when all is said and done to give to friends and fellow bikers who might want to travel some of the same places. Motels to say or NOT, nice folks to meet, photos. This is a personal quest prior to the end of my life journey. If anyone is out there that might want to ride an hour or two on the way or would be willing to share a meal or say hello --- please, please write to me. I do not want this to be 15,000 miles of lonely. I need advice from those of you that have been on road trips --- things that you know are a MUST to take along. Sites you think are a must too see. Any advice is welcome. Scarlet Kittylee

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jul 26, 2005 08:07

i lived in westland for many years...
as for picking you up, wow...now that is the nicest thing i have heard since i have been on this site...and cute too...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jul 25, 2005 22:42

hey harley man im in michigan you can pick me up when you get here........

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2005 07:35

harleyman....that would be fun, hope someone has the time to go with you.....have a safe trip............