Home > Biker Forums > Biker Articles > Motorcycle Safety - Part 1 Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Motorcycle Safety - Part 1
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Nov 02, 2005 13:47

Agree about the extra lights, just don't overdo it. Aging drivers with already marginal vision are further impaired by ill aimed and improperly used 'beam' type lamps, most noticeably, 'passing lamps' on Harleys and 'fog lamps' or 'driving lamps' on sporty cars and PU's. They're all an aggravation to other drivers and impolite as well as inconsiderate. Let's don't fall into the 'I'm more important than their feelings' mode. We're contributing to the general bad (read 'inconsiderate') feelings towards bikers that's already out there. All the lights you want during the daytime, but nothing beats scanning the terrain, paying extra attention cause you already know the other drivers aren't paying enough attention, and mentally practicing 'escape actions' so that we're ready to take care of ourselves instead of waiting for the other guy to take care of us. Rights or not, crashing hurts more than it sux!!!!

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 05, 2006 17:08

Going to do the Safety class again, since it's been too long without riding.
Feb is the soonest there is a class nearby, and I'll be on my bike by then. Hopefully, I'll be riding my Virago in the coming week.
Praying for a driveway appearance tomorrow...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2005 07:31

Luv, they're called 'sequential' turn signals, got 'em internal to the mirrors on my bike, like the old '67 Cougars and some of the T-birds had.

Ever seen two cages crash at an intersection? It's not the visibility, it's just our penchant for distributing Drivers Licenses to everybody as if they were pacifiers. Nobody wants to bite the bullet and exclude the stupids from the gene pool.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2005 05:25

Luv2Ride99 write:
One time I was run off the road by a truck and the guy was looking right at me, in broad daylignt. I had the right of way, just riding down a main street. He turned from a side street, with a stop sign, right in front of and almost into me. I had to go up over the curb, sidewalk and almost through a store window. So I don't know about extra lights but it sure is worth a shot. I do like those brake lights that flash across in a continuous sequence though I don't know what that particular gadget is called.

That is all too common Luv... Several times that same thing happened to me and others Ive been riding with.. Your looking straight at them and they still dont see you... I think extra lights may help.. The Flashing of the brights may get their attention more, although even that didnt work one time... With someone turning infront of me...
I have seen bikes on the road with continuous flashing lights this past year... I guess mfgs are thinking of safety.. But they are annoying to me.. The continuous flashing may work at first but another thing others may look over if too common?
Got to go with the defensive driveing and preparedness..
I will look into a switch for my bike to make flashing of the headlight easier..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Nov 14, 2005 21:35

One time I was run off the road by a truck and the guy was looking right at me, in broad daylignt. I had the right of way, just riding down a main street. He turned from a side street, with a stop sign, right in front of and almost into me. I had to go up over the curb, sidewalk and almost through a store window. So I don't know about extra lights but it sure is worth a shot. I do like those brake lights that flash across in a continuous sequence though I don't know what that particular gadget is called.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Nov 12, 2005 09:09

I agree extra lighting helps especially during daylight hours.. I dont run exta lighting on my bike though... Mostly use defensive driving, Scanning the areas especially intersections, driveway & parking lot entry ways.. Always looking for the Itchy driver in a hurry and the ones oblivious to me.. I ride with brights on always during the day and Flash my lights several times when Im coming up to intersection or spot the itchy drivers thinking on going for it.....
Would be nice if they had an easier high/low beam switch to use though.. Im thinking I may wear mine out.....