Home > Biker Forums > Biker Articles > Motorcycle Maintenance 101 Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Motorcycle Maintenance 101
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Nov 02, 2005 12:49

good idea! I can figure out most of this stuff(and yes I have the manual), but this S&S carberator trips me up. I don't have a manual for it and it can be very tempermental-needs adjusting from time to time-runs too rich when it isn't just right.It's an S&S shorty. Anyone know where to get a manual on line? Help on line?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 19:37

HarleyGurl35 write:
Crap.

How much extra would changing the cables out cost?

I'm not wanting to spend a mint to change out my bars...and I KNOW if I go to the dealership, they'll have a field day! I'd like to somewhat know whether or not it's worth wasting anymore brain cells on before calling them.

Sorry Carrie, I just got around to following up on this post, but the reason it's not cheap is because they keep thousands of $ of cables in stock for contingencies, y'know? Unless you buy the bars, mount 'em, measure what you need for cables, then remount the stock bars and order what you need, then disassemble and do your final install, and hope you didn't measure wrong and need to reorder. Why didn't you mention this when we were in New B? Anything can be worked out, there's all kind of options, I'll help anyway I can. We can do it here if you wanna do the travelin', just lemme know. Cables can be from $9.95 each to hundreds each depending on length and brand and material (braided vs nylon), so lots of choices. Hours of time unless you happen to catch a tech who's done the same relative change recently and knows what to order. (rare, but it happens)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 18:10

Call S&S Cycle in Viola WI they will send you a manual

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2006 17:13

Crap.

How much extra would changing the cables out cost?

I'm not wanting to spend a mint to change out my bars...and I KNOW if I go to the dealership, they'll have a field day! I'd like to somewhat know whether or not it's worth wasting anymore brain cells on before calling them.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2006 08:00

yes, unless you already have extended cables.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 11, 2006 19:09

Hey guys...got a question.

I have a 99 Sportster and I want to change out the handlbars. (I'm taking it to the dealership..I'M not doing this).

Right now, it has the stock ones on it. I want to put some ape hangers, but not the huge ones.

I want just a little higher than the mini apes...so if I am looking at 10" to 10.5" would I have to change my cables?

I appreciate anything you can tell me.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 09, 2005 09:04

Hey Minx, accept my apologies for YOUR misinterpretation of my post. I wasn't clear that I was referring to an older version of the S&S Carb called a Shorty, as opposed to the newer models that have letter designations, E, S, etc.

Hope you're still riding and keepin' your screwdriver handy.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 08, 2005 13:15

Looked for Norty's Garage in the Msg Bd threads.. but it must be back a ways. soooo, went out on amazon and ordered a basic maintenance book lol

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 02, 2005 20:50

Minx,
I believe you can go on the S & S web site and print off an instruction book for the E or shorty.
Spyder

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 01, 2005 11:36

Hey Jerry-I can get over the older, But don't call me shorty!!
Really, the bike is a 1998. Is that so old? I carry my screw driver near but by george I think I got it.Hasn't needed a womans touch in weeks.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Nov 20, 2005 08:39

Sometimes I need a 'kiss fix'...lol

Seriously tho Norty you have helped me and I'm sure more of us.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Nov 04, 2005 07:36

NORTY write:
Thanks Jer for the promo. Maybe the mods could move the "garage" thread over here. It's a good source of info. Too bad it gets buried with "3-somes" and the like (but I guess this IS "Bikerkiss" not "Bikefix!")
Thanks again for the kind words.

Norty you know you've helped alot of us--even if it is kiss not fix

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 03, 2005 22:32

hi

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 03, 2005 20:51

hi

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 03, 2005 09:05

Minx, S&S does have a website that has printable diagrams and specs available.
They also have a tech answer line for specific questions. Is this an older Shorty? those are more fickle. The new one I put on my 96ci was dead on and reliable. Maybe an update is the solution.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Nov 02, 2005 14:00

There's a thread called 'Garage' on the Message Board forum, started by Norty, got lotsa good stuff on it.