Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Dec 15, 2004 21:23

When did this forum thing start?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 15:14

cheshire had a point earlier the Yamaha is a cruiser verry comfortable a lot of manufacturers are doin it the "metrics" of old are different ridin conditions
still preferance like undies some people wear briefs some bikinis some nothing... i prefer the latter.........

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 15:07

It's all preferance baby..I ride an 80XL and a 04 Yamaha. Normally I dont like anything new but the 80 was turning out to be high maintenance, dont get me wrong I love to wrench, and nothing goes to the shop, thats why the 04 was the first thing i ever baught myself that was new and even that hasn't and will not go to the shop. I put on 300miles a week going back and forth to work alone, wich ment less ride time on weekends. so I baught the Yamaha, shaft drive air cooled bare bones bike as they come new, to ease the HD. I didn't buy a new HD for two reasons I don't like the evo engine (too low of maintenance and no customizing room unless you call bolt on customizing) and now its just seems to be a status symbol (it doesnt help that I'm cheep too, bought the HD for $1000). When I go to the stealership for parts I jokingly call it the Harley Davidson clothing store. I ride american and I ride a saki burner and I wear a cage 66 GMC puckup, I dont want a HUMMER unless its a army surplus one I can get at auction cause I'll just tear up the HUMMER up anyways. It's all preferance baby my knees are in the breeze and I like it that way, if you ride too then when we goin ???!!!

We'll look for them blasted bikini models while were at it

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 07:05

My Triumph was built for me, no, really, it was, I'm sure of it !

(you mean it wasn't ? Well damn man)

Look, if it works for you then it's all good. No one tells you who you should mate with, and if they did, how the hell do they know, are they you ?

My mate rides a really nice Dyna Glide Sport. He really likes it (so do I actually) and he also likes his 2004 Yamaha FZ1 !

Just ride. Ride hard. Ride safe. Ride what makes you keep riding. My Triumph just happens to be my ride, it ain't better than yours, it's just better for me.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 16:44

Wow, I looked at this forum about 5 or 6 times kept tellin myself I wasn't gonna post, wasn't gonna but what the heck, ,,,LOL,,, I think most people like myself, that been doin this along, long time it isn't about what ya ride. Its about soul, your connection to the road, the people, nature, the beauty the good Lord has given us to enjoy, if you get all that part then dont matter what scoot your on. But, I have met a lot of people that dont get the spiritual part of ridin, they think it is about their machine,,,,,sorry they probably wont get it.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 14:30

Not sure what I can add but here it goes. I as raised on Vincents, HD's. Indians and Phantoms. I have owned European, American and now an Asian. I just love to ride. I love to build. Take cae of your ride and it takes care of you so to speak. I don't care what you ride, I outgrew that a long time ago, just don't get into debt doing it. Then you can't afford the gas to ride it and it don't look like fun having it sit in the garage or under a bridge going nowhere. I do have favorites and a wish list, but who doesn't. So ride safe with the wind at your back.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 17, 2005 12:29

Evolution... a good thing. Although cave men first invented the wheel, undoubtedly he didn't have the brains to put two wheels together, add a set of handlebars and a shiny engine that went vroom... but, if given that mentality, I think he would have been thrilled with the rush of the ride. After all, isn't that what it is really all about?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Jan 17, 2005 08:42

If you know about Delphiforums, then you may know that there is a forum called cycle-bash. This forum is specifically let the Harley vs Metric people have at it - all in good fun. Some of the posts are very funny. Check it out if you get a chance.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 16, 2005 21:31

TECHO ..BABY IM BENDING OVER BRING IT SWEETY

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 16, 2005 20:37

Well from all the comments it seems clear; most understand the metric appeal. A HD salesman once admitted that they were beat hands down by the metrics and that all HD could offer now was a storied history. But the real point to my earlier comment was that even knowing this the import riders don't exclude others, whereas HD riders do. That's too bad :(

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 14, 2005 15:50

WOW This thing just dosn¿t quit, does it. Just like 1Vulcan said "lose the snobby attitude" Most Harley riders are cool, like Jackharleyman. I have tons of Harley buddies, who are cool. They don¿t give a dam about what you ride. As long as you are respectful. You don't see import riders trashing Harley riders, their cycles, their ladies, passengers or acting uppiddy. It¿s the few idiots who act as though HD is the only good bike out there that ruin it for everyone. If you like your bike ¿cool? If you don¿t like someone else¿s bike then shut the ---- up and keep it to yourself. ¿It¿s all good ¿¿ ¿To each their own.? Yes, Magoo I¿m sure that you have the nicest cycle in your trailor park. Maybe you should join a ¿Harley¿s only website? But please, don¿t talk about your IQ like that. Zero ... ~B~

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 14, 2005 13:16

Whoa, What happened here? Everyone calm down. A bikes a bike. It has 2 wheels and goes Vroom Vroom. You ride what you like and I'll ride what I like.

Dave... aka CrazyDane

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jan 14, 2005 12:29

Doggone, Magoo! Too bad I'm a zero to you! Ya never will know if we'd have been great buddies, sharing a ride, watching one another's back and all the good things that go with riding. What makes you think other brand riders aren't like that? I respect your choices!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 13, 2005 10:24

My first bike was a BSA 650, back in 1970. My next bike was a '70 panshovel that I bought as a basket case and built from the ground up. Since that time I have bought (and currently still own,) an '82 BMW T100. I also bought a brand new '78 Harley FLH 80CI. I had that one for over 22 years. I currently own a 93 1200 Sporty. I have raced Harleys in the late 70's through the middle '80's. I have ridden on the backs of my friend's bikes such as Hondas, Suz, Enfeilds, Trumpets, Yammers, just to name a few. I PREFER the Harley because of the upright riding position, (I hate riding on my hands for support: as I ride farther then a few miles when I ride,) the center of gravity on a Harley feels good to me,(I'm a fairly short person at 5'3".) Aestheticlly I find the lean lines of the Harley engine to be pleasing, and the sound that a patented 45 degree engine makes is unmistakable to the trained ear. I don't care what others ride, I just care that they ride, feel good about their ride, and most importantly... I want them to feel safe on what they ride. I feel safe on my Harley, it's like an ol Chevy to me, the kind anyone could work on as long as they had the tools, and the ambition to do it. I like my Harleys because they are familar to me, I know my bike as well as I know myself, and it makes me feel good to know that about it.
That's why I ride a Harley.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 13, 2005 06:04

Well, Manuel, I've ridden a Harley, a few types, but they just don't do it for me. Most have gobs of torque, but I feel they use a lot of their HP to make that potato-potato noise :-). I'm really into precise handling so I can get out on NH backroads and ride. Ever notice a lot of Harleys have squared off rear tires? Not much into cornering. I find highways boring. Give me the twisties any day of the week. But, on the whole, it's all about what YOU like and what turns you, as an individual, ON! If any particular bike was the end-all to bikes, then why more than one brand? Like one of the fellows below, he's after a Guzzi, and referred to it as an Italian Harley, good call, and also a very sweet machine. V-twin, lotsa torque, but has that Italian handling which is a key factor to some folks. My Duc is a v-twin, more like a Harley than any UJM(universal jap motorcylce). It's just lightweight, high strung, super handling. To me, it's the sexiest thing on the road. I drooled over them in the mid-70's while in high school, and finally laid my hands on one in my mid 40's. I used to tease my Harley buddies about the gear, like belts, panties, boots, jackets and all, but I have to admit, I like my Italian leathers, Ducati belt/buckle, just like the rest of you like your HD stuff :-), I'm just as bad. Sorry, that was long winded!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 21:14

Hmmmmmm, do I dare jump in on this one? I guess I don't have to tell you what I ride. The name kinda gives it away. I will tell you that I started out with a Harley. It was an 87 Sportster 1100 and it looked and sounded beautiful..... but, it was not a bike for me.
It was too heavy. Also very high maintenance. Every time it went out it needed tinkering, adjusting, fixing.... I got a bike because I like to ride. I live out in the boonies (Gypsy57 can vouch for this as she knows.) The last thing I want to worry about is breakdowns. I want to get where I am headed to. Before I purchased the Vulcan I did a lot of research. I was torn between the Honda Shadow and the Vulcan. It came down to the feel. It didn't matter that it has the Ninja motor. No one in these parts laughs at me or puts me down because of the bike that I ride. I was told it didn't matter what I ride, what mattered is that I ride, and I like that philosophy. I respect all Brothers and Sisters. To you all, ride safe and ride free.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 09:18

Hot topic indeed! I ride a Councours, like Clyde, though it's an '88 with 56K miles on it, trouble free. I also own a pasta-burner, '01 Ducati 748 that is a seriously fun, fast, primo handling bike. I never cared for what anyone rides, as most of you think, as long as they ride. That's the #1 issue, commonality. Sure, you can look for someone with similar interests, including bike type, why not? It gets you on some sort of common ground right away. My 3 tightest buds ride Harley, Kawasaki Vulcan and Honda VTX, but who cares?? We ride tight together all over the place. It's great fun to pimp on one another baout our selected rides, but it's all in fun. It's the journey!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 07:53

Glad i could get this forum going ... i ment it that HARLEY BABES ARE BETTER,,, nothing to do with the two wheels between your legs... carry on

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 11, 2005 23:17

Hey 1Vulcan, this is a ¿hot topic? You have to admit it is funny. I agree with you. But if some people who are obsessed or impressed with a name want to pay twice as much for a bike, that's their business. For the people that want & know a good value they will most likely buy something else. And it will look great and most likely run totally like a Champ. It has nothing to do with affording a bike. It is aggravating though. Most do seem, to miss the point. I am comfortable in my own skin, I wear Levi¿s, my forth cycle is a Yamaha Road Star 1602 and my underwear says doesn¿t have Yamaha on it. I could care less what anybody thinks. Mikee, Curlygirl4U and Moe please try not to think, you might hurt yourself ! ..... ~B~

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 11, 2005 07:37

What can one say ?

(pretty much anything B)

I ride a Triumph 900SS and it does almost everything I want or need. It's awesome.

The one thing I do need that it isn't quite perfect for, is a cruiser which is what most Harleys are doing so well.

For that purpose, I intend to pick up a Moto Guzzi of the California style. It's an Italian Harley, and you gotta love 'em.