Home > Biker Forums > Biker Articles > We Need Your Help --- Save the Dragon Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
We Need Your Help --- Save the Dragon
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Nov 04, 2005 17:45

DEAL?S GAP AND THE DRAGON IS ENDANGERED
Have you have had the pleasure of visiting Deal?s Gap and riding the Dragon?s Tail? This coveted stretch of US 129 in the Smoky Mountains crosses from North Carolina to the Tennessee State Line and has 318 curves in 11 miles. The area surrounding Deal?s Gap has become a Mecca to motorcyclists. There is a noticeable increase of motorcycle tourists and related business as each year passes. If you have not yet challenged the Dragon, you may want to plan a trip soon as some legislators in Washington DC have plans of replacing it with Interstate 3.

The proposed corridor of I-3 would begin in Savannah, GA. and end up in Knoxville TN. The proposed corridor would pass through North Carolina along NC 69 and US 64 to Murphy. The freeway would then follow US 19 ? 129 to the western edge of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park and continue to follow US 129 to I ? 40 and I -75 just west of Knoxville.

You can help stop this project by writing your Representative and Senators in Washington. Ask your elected officials to withhold funding or change the route of this proposed interstate. Join your state motorcyclist rights organization to help stay aware of threats of this nature and to better organize opposition to these threats. Learn more about this issue and how to help at: Contact me as BikerKiss dose not allow URL's

By FastFred ABATE of SC State Coordinator

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Nov 07, 2005 11:15

I have heard of talk of this, but I am not worried, it will never happen

any attempt will never get past the environmental study stage, I have seen more needed highways get shot down in less environmentally sensitive areas

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share