Home > Biker Forums > Friends > Goodbye Old Friend Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Goodbye Old Friend
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 10:48

<03/28/2006>

Today I said goodbye to an old friend. Slim, my black labrator retriever who has been my loyal companion and friend for the last 13 years was put to rest today. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, even though I knew it was the right thing to do. It was simply time to let Slim go. In the past month his health has deteriorated fairly quickly and life was no longer a joy for him.

Slim was constantly by my side both day and night and was known in both the US and Canada as one of the greatest competitor in Retriever Field trials. Some of his many accomplishments were 1995 U.S. National Derby Champion, 2005 Canadian National Champion, and 2001 ESPN Great Outdoor Games Bronze Medal Winner. In addition he earned Field Champion titles in both the US and Canada, was qualified to compete in 8 National Championships and was a Finalist in 4 National Championships.

But more dear to me than his athletic accomplishments is the fact that he was my best friend. He was always there to show me his love and trust when all others had turned their back on me. And he never asked for anything in return. A kind word and a pat on the head and he was your friend for life. He wanted to be wherever I was and to always be right by my side. These last few days have been very hard as the realization of what must be done has sunk in.

I spent all night last night and most of today in bed with Slim lying right next to me. He always slept with me since he was a rambunctious little puppy, but as he grew to be an 85 pound dog he had to sleep on the floor. But all his life, he was always at the side of my bed every night, always on my side of the bed. Even in his weakness, he wanted to be touching me at all times. He would snuggle up close to me and put his head on my arm and look at me. His eyes were calm and peaceful. Somehow, I thnk he knew his time was near. When I would get up to do something he watched my every move, and would wag his tail when I would come back to him. I know that he wanted to be with me at all times and that was his way of showing his love and devotion. He did not seem to be in any pain but he had not eaten anything at all in several days and he was very weak. He was not enjoying life as he should anymore and I couldn't stand to see him suffer. As hard as it was to do, I knew it had to be done.

I know that his last few moments were easier for him knowing that my son Drew and I were by his side and letting him know that, just as always, I am his best friend just as he was mine, that I loved him as he has always loved me, and that I stayed by his side to the end just as he did for me.

It has been my honor and privilege to share the life of such a great competitor, champion, companion, and friend.

Rest In Peace, my friend. We will miss you.

Gene and Drew Anderson

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 08:19

Awww Gene.....

My heart goes out to you honey, and I feel your saddness.... I've been there too, and it was one of the most difficult decisions that I have ever had to make. But like Slim, my Bandit helped me make that decision....

All I had to do was look into his eyes and see his silent suffering and hear his silent plea to let him go.... I had no choice but to obey HIM in the end....

And he was still really a baby - only 11 years old - but the Chow breed is plagued with hereditary health problems, and he had them all, poor thing.

Like Slim, he was a loyal and good friend, and I miss him still today....

They're probably both up there right now, over that Rainbow Bridge, talkin and laughin about us right now lol....

R.I.P. lil dogies.....

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Apr 12, 2006 16:19

Slim,
So sorry to hear of ur loss..animals are a part of our family..and I sure can understand how u feel..May you have comfort at this sad time...and remember..all dogs go to heaven! Thank you for sharing..
Peace!
AD311

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 07, 2006 16:41

Thanks everyone for your kind words. He was a great competitor and companion.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Apr 07, 2006 14:39

Brother your story brought tears to my eyes my heart goes out to you in your time of loss.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 15:00

HI SLIM I FEEL FOR YA I KNOW THE FEELIN WHEN I LOST MY FRIST COLLIE HAD HIM 17 YRS!!!!!! WE WON A BLUE RIBBON WHEN HE WAS THREE YRS OLD BUT MY FAMILY GOT ME ANOTHER DOG, BUT IT WAS NEVER THE SAME!!CANT REPLACE HIM. NOT MUCH ELSE YA CAN SAY. SORRY....JAY

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 05:43

Slim

sorry about your good friend--have had to do that with a few of mine in the past

they are truely best friends--accepting us no matter what we do or how we feel--we can tell them anything and they never let out our inner most secrets and they also comfort when we are down or sick

peace my friend

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 19:50

Hey Slim,
Sorry about the lose of your friend. It was one of the hardest thing I had to do. Friends say why don't you get another dog but I tell them I can not go thru that again.
Spyder

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 13:49

SeminoleSlim write:
<04/28/2006>

Today I said goodbye to an old friend. Slim, my black labrator retriever who has been my loyal companion and friend for the last 13 years was put to rest today. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, even though I knew it was the right thing to do. It was simply time to let Slim go. In the past month his health has deteriorated fairly quickly and life was no longer a joy for him.

Slim was constantly by my side both day and night and was known in both the US and Canada as one of the greatest competitor in Retriever Field trials. Some of his many accomplishments were 1995 U.S. National Derby Champion, 2005 Canadian National Champion, and 2001 ESPN Great Outdoor Games Bronze Medal Winner. In addition he earned Field Champion titles in both the US and Canada, was qualified to compete in 8 National Championships and was a Finalist in 4 National Championships.

But more dear to me than his athletic accomplishments is the fact that he was my best friend. He was always there to show me his love and trust when all others had turned their back on me. And he never asked for anything in return. A kind word and a pat on the head and he was your friend for life. He wanted to be wherever I was and to always be right by my side. These last few days have been very hard as the realization of what must be done has sunk in.

I spent all night last night and most of today in bed with Slim lying right next to me. He always slept with me since he was a rambunctious little puppy, but as he grew to be an 85 pound dog he had to sleep on the floor. But all his life, he was always at the side of my bed every night, always on my side of the bed. Even in his weakness, he wanted to be touching me at all times. He would snuggle up close to me and put his head on my arm and look at me. His eyes were calm and peaceful. Somehow, I thnk he knew his time was near. When I would get up to do something he watched my every move, and would wag his tail when I would come back to him. I know that he wanted to be with me at all times and that was his way of showing his love and devotion. He did not seem to be in any pain but he had not eaten anything at all in several days and he was very weak. He was not enjoying life as he should anymore and I couldn't stand to see him suffer. As hard as it was to do, I knew it had to be done.

I know that his last few moments were easier for him knowing that my son Drew and I were by his side and letting him know that, just as always, I am his best friend just as he was mine, that I loved him as he has always loved me, and that I stayed by his side to the end just as he did for me.

It has been my honor and privilege to share the life of such a great competitor, champion, companion, and friend.

Rest In Peace, my friend. We will miss you.

Gene and Drew Anderson

My deepest sympathies to you. It's had to let go of a devoted pet and best friend. Blessings for you and your family.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 01, 2006 18:07

Hi Slim sorry for the loss of your friend that left this time to find you again in another....He looked like the life he led with his Master was as a Champion...He runs proud in another realm waiting to to be reborn, ..again a Champion...His life with you was a great privilege for you both,,,Enjoy in the fact that he is happy and no longer hurting....You made him happy...

Rocky=.)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 06:55

TNBrowneyes write:
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Hey GF...how have you been? Good to see you here again...Miss your input! Thank you for sharing this...believe it or not? I was going to look this Rainbow Bridge up & post it here because I think it is so awesome...It is so tough losing a pet. This probably won't surprise you & others here...but man oh man...you should have even seen me with my daughter's gerbils & pet mice when they either died or were sick & I didn't want them to suffer. My vet had this policy if it was a child's pet...you could bring the pet into the office & they would put it down for free. I was sobbing both times when I brought Dazey the gerbil in & also Creampuff the mouse in to have them put down. I even had the vet in tears as I was holding this little creature in my hands as they gave them a shot to let them pass on...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 05:01

Great story... Its funny how we feel for our pets... I hate to say it but mine was an old orange cat Morris... The ex and my son brought him home and I dislike cats but I was out numbered so cat it was... I'm not sure how old he got to be maybe 15.. As it turned out Morris and I became very good friends... He always had a lap to sleep on... By the time he was done he'd lost hes hearing and eye site.... But he was a lover all the way to the end.. One funny thing about Morris was he could tell the people that didn't like cats and was all ways all over them cause he could I guess... Sorry for your loss I know he'll never be replaced...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 13:19

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 13:14

SeminoleSlim,
So very sorry to hear of your loss. Having to make the decision that the quality of life just isn't quality anymore is a very hard one. When you are in the wind, he will be watching you & when your time comes he will be waiting at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge for you & cross over it with you.

Peace my friend.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 10:24

I am so sorry for your loss.I too lost one at 14 that was a few years ago and I miss him to this day.If there
s such a thing as Doggy Heaven They are there.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 07:46

smile2005 write:
SeminoleSlim...I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Slim...There's nothing like the love between an animal & their owner. They do become your best friend & they love you unconditionally. The hardest decision ever to make is taking them to the vet & having them put down when you know they are suffering. Thank you for sharing with us your story about Slim & your pictures...Take care...

Thanks. He was like one of the family.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 07:45

jjgeorgiapeach write:
SeminoleSlim write:
Daytona Bike Week 2006

So sorry Gene..I really do feel your pain. Yes I can attest that Slim was one of a kind. I will miss his sweet face as well.

Thanks JJ. I'm glad you got the chance to meet him.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 11:45

SeminoleSlim...I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Slim...There's nothing like the love between an animal & their owner. They do become your best friend & they love you unconditionally. The hardest decision ever to make is taking them to the vet & having them put down when you know they are suffering. Thank you for sharing with us your story about Slim & your pictures...Take care...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 10:44

SeminoleSlim write:
Daytona Bike Week 2006

So sorry Gene..I really do feel your pain. Yes I can attest that Slim was one of a kind. I will miss his sweet face as well.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 28, 2006 21:52

Slim was a Harley man.

Available only
to logged in members