Jump to:
Helmet???
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2006 08:30

Guys,
a question for you...

I see in all of your photos that you don't wear the HELMET!!!

I know that the law in some of your country don't obligate this accessory...but is for your safe!!!

I always wear the helmet (in Italy you must wear it), back protector and leather everywhere I can!!!

I fall down sometimes...and if I did't wear these accessories I'll been in a bed!

I know the freedom, but my healt is important!!!

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 07:53

I wear a full helmet, mesh jacket, and gloves. It can get uncomfortable riding in the daytime in the Florida heat, but after the first time I got pelted in the head by a rock that was kicked up by a truck in front of me, I was glad I had it on. Not to mention the bugs in Florida too.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 24, 2006 19:29

If you ever have a helmet prevent serious injury. Get to see the damage to the helmet. You will understand the need for a good helmet. If you don't wear a helmet or maybe you wear a half helmet. You may never understand. I have always been an aggressive rider and I have a collection of damaged helmets some from my racing days, some from my young and stupid days, and a couple from "I didn't see the motorcycle"

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 07:22

I was married to a biker in the 70's and, at that time, Arkansas had a helmet law...he crashed, he died, and he wore a helmet..bottom line is, if it's your time to go, kiss your azz goodbye...nothing and no force is going to keep you here! The only think else I have to say is ride safely and enjoy the time you have...who knows...we aren't ever promised tomorrow! Peace all

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 13, 2006 18:32

locoloco write:
Freedom of choice, it maters to me that my state allows me the choice.
What I choose doesn't mater but what maters is I have that freedom!

thats a hell of a good answer loco!!! I know I like that choice also, thats why I am a firm beleiver in ABATE here in Illinois, they are the main ones that have repealed it all these years, and thats not the only issue they work on. I think every motorcyclist needs to think about joining no matter if they wear a helmet or not.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 10, 2006 05:47

I live in Slovakia,and you have to wear a helmet here too...Im not wearing it usualy.But when you are on the highway,I thing its needed.And I think it depends on the type of bike too.If you have some kind of sports bike,you should wear it all the time...
cheers
(have to check out what is the law for trikes here...)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 08, 2006 18:23

Freedom of choice, it maters to me that my state allows me the choice.
What I choose doesn't mater but what maters is I have that freedom!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 01, 2006 20:10

IrishRoseCA write:
Rustykat write:
I ride with the flip up helmet-Roof Boxer,you can flip the chin to the back of you head and the visor is still in place. Rusty

Now, that sounds like a good idea...
I am wearing a 1/2 because the bigger helmets are too heavy for my neck. When i can afford it, I am going to get one of the ultra light helmets.
Helmets are a hot issue for bikers.
Depending on who you talk to...the stats aren't all that better with a helmet or other stats say...helmet is the only way.
DD

DD,

Stats are shifted or read to meet the collectors goal of persuasion and often expressed in a way that doesn't explain them objectively but subjectively to the interested parties desired interpretation.
Look who is reporting the stats and ask what benefit do they gain or loose depending on how the information is presented. Money can shift stats.
Truth is getting in a motorcycle accident is more fatal the faster you go and at some point if an accident occurs nothing will save you.
Going to motorcycle school, learning how to ride and riding consistently building up experience, good reactions and judgment will save you more than going with our without a helmet.
Although you can legislate a helmet and a license the rest is up to the rider and intangible like freedom itself.
Who is making a profit from the stats?
What is side of the argument do they favor and what does it benefit them?

SpringerSoul

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 01, 2006 19:18

Rustykat write:
I ride with the flip up helmet-Roof Boxer,you can flip the chin to the back of you head and the visor is still in place. Rusty

Now, that sounds like a good idea...
I am wearing a 1/2 because the bigger helmets are too heavy for my neck. When i can afford it, I am going to get one of the ultra light helmets.
Helmets are a hot issue for bikers.
Depending on who you talk to...the stats aren't all that better with a helmet or other stats say...helmet is the only way.
DD

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 03:20

SpringerSoul write:
Sbraz,

It is a true story. I helped the man crawl into the back of a 67 Cutlass for a ride home that night.

As for learning Italian I am game.
If you have English questions, I will do my part.
I use to work with a guy who was born in Naples.
Sonno is sleep..ok..
Otto is eight
How would you say "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" Italian
or I am?

Wishing you good health and safety.
Springer

Yeah yeah, I belive what you are sayng Springer...very unhappy story...
So...I will open a post on "message board"...I need your support to take off the game! lol Ok? :-)))
Naples? My parents are from Naples...a lovely city! I've been there many times...I've got the family too.
Live to ride , ride to live?
Let you see on the new topic if you wanna the translation...
START THE GAME!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 21:20

Sbraz,

It is a true story. I helped the man crawl into the back of a 67 Cutlass for a ride home that night.

As for learning Italian I am game.
If you have English questions, I will do my part.
I use to work with a guy who was born in Naples.
Sonno is sleep..ok..
Otto is eight
How would you say "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" Italian
or I am?

Wishing you good health and safety.
Springer

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 25, 2006 22:24

HI MRSBRAZ
I LIVE IN THE UK AND YES IT IS LAW HERE THAT WE HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET BUT IT SHOULD BE THE CHOICE OF THE RIDER AND NOT FORCED UP ON YOU I HAVE BEEN TAKEN TO COURT FOR NOT WEARING A HELMET AND FINED AND HAD POINTS PUT ONTO MY LICENSE I AGREE THAT SOME PLACE YES PEOPLE SHOULD WEAR THERE HELMET BUT IT SHOULD REMAIN THE CHOICE OF THE RIDER I HAVE NOW BUILT A TRIKE BECAUSE THE LAW DOESNT REQUIRE YOU TO WEAR A HELMET ON A TRIKE IN THE UK WHICH IS FUNNY WHEN THE POLICE PULL YOU OVER AS SOME OF THEM DONT KNOW HIW THE LAW STANDS AND ARNT SURE WHAT TO DO. SO LETS ALL REMEMBER OUR RIGHTS AND RIDE FREE AND SAFE

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 04:01

SpringerSoul write:
Sbraz,

You are right we don't have socialized health care here and if someone does get in an accident and doesn't have health care they could be in big trouble.
I could relate a long story about a dirty biker type who was hit by someone making a left hand turn, but was sent home from the hospital urinating blood because they couldn't prove if he had a way to pay for it. (Granted this was in the early days of being a biker before TV shows and fanfare when the average income was much less than 80K and more than likely he was self employed)
Lifes rough but we are Americans. We are tough.

Sbraz, your English is very good. I need to put down my French and try to pick up some Italiano. Eo Sonno Springer

"One Law for the Lion and Ox is Oppression." Blake

Now if we can each respect that people are allowed choices different than our own, we might be more cautious at the voting booths in the future.

Spirit Girl
Thank you for the compliments on Black Lightening she is attitude to me.

Rusty,
Cool graphic on the helm! Freedom of expression, I love it. Happy Snow Wolf trails to you!

Ohh God, I don't belive what you are saying!!! For my state of mind can't be true...a man that urinate blood can't go away from the hospital!!!
The healt is the first thing in our life...and a State can't go in this way! Sorry, but what abuot people that live in the street? What about the homeless-street people?

IO SONO SPRINGER is right...lol
Eo, don't mean nothing...don't exist in our vocabulary. lol
"sonno" means sleep! hahahaha
I can open a new topic in one section to teach you italian if you want! It will be very funny? lol

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 22:10

Sbraz,

You are right we don't have socialized health care here and if someone does get in an accident and doesn't have health care they could be in big trouble.
I could relate a long story about a dirty biker type who was hit by someone making a left hand turn, but was sent home from the hospital urinating blood because they couldn't prove if he had a way to pay for it. (Granted this was in the early days of being a biker before TV shows and fanfare when the average income was much less than 80K and more than likely he was self employed)
Lifes rough but we are Americans. We are tough.

Sbraz, your English is very good. I need to put down my French and try to pick up some Italiano. Eo Sonno Springer

"One Law for the Lion and Ox is Oppression." Blake

Now if we can each respect that people are allowed choices different than our own, we might be more cautious at the voting booths in the future.

Spirit Girl
Thank you for the compliments on Black Lightening she is attitude to me.

Rusty,
Cool graphic on the helm! Freedom of expression, I love it. Happy Snow Wolf trails to you!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 19:21

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 10:00

I'm with you "Springer". I feel so trapped and awkward with a helmet on - can't see or hear sh--. Hot as h--- in the summer plus helmet head.
Besides, the whole point is to ride safe and keep the rubber side down. Yes, I know anything can happen but seems as if I have more close calls with a helmet on than off because I don't see periphally as well and don't hear things around me.
BTW - that is one beautiful bike.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 07:09

Personally I hear better, see better and are aware of more things without the helmet. SC has no helmet law so I to ride with out one. besides, the safest place in the world is on my scoot, cause I aint scratching the chrome.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 09:07

SpringerSoul write:
MrSbraz write:
SpingerSoul,
I understand what you say...everyone is free, and of course, can do what he want's to do.
For me, no problem! lol
But for the Insurrance...mmm, a very bad thing if peolpe don't wear the helmet. Lost money...for them...
What can I say...if I don't wear the helmet, I feel lost!

Sbraz,
The question is
What if insurance tomorrow could prove that it cost them more money because of neck injuries due to a helmet than to pay out death benefits. As a result of needing to pay out for a lifetime quadraplegic(??- help me nurses) care compared to a lump sum death benefit.
As a result, they lobbied or petition with the economic weight of large conglomerate of corporations to make helmets illegal.
How would you feel if what you feel best doing for you; was outlawed?
The question really isn't what is most profitable in terms of legal fines and systems or insurance company profits, but what defends the individual right to choose one's own destiny be that brain dead on the scene or paralyzed for the rest of one's life on life support.
Your judgement about the guidance and execution of your own life should be up to you as long as it can't be proven that you are placing another unwilling at risk.
When we each drive or ride on the road we participate in a collective risk.
You should be able to negotiate your own risk in that situation to your satisfaction and not to external demands.
I don't want anyone to "feel lost" because the majority demand the individual goes against what they rationalize is the best course of action for themselves.
The individual is the smallest and most vulnerable minority.

just an opinion...
thanks for the dialogue.
SSoul

We agree!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 08:02

Your theory about the insurrance is very good Springer...
I know that what you are saying about the insurrance is damned true...but the insurrance are really drub,dull...

Problably for this very good theory, the law in some states of US don't force the obligation for the Helmet...but it's unbeliveble!!!

There's a differce from US to Italy in the isurrance, for exemple, in Italy, if you have a problem with your healt, you can go to a pubblic hospital and get free treatment.
I don't know in the US, but I see in the American movies, that you NEED an insurrace for to have medical assistan...

Thanks at you...I'm testing my poor english!!!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 17:21

MrSbraz write:
SpingerSoul,
I understand what you say...everyone is free, and of course, can do what he want's to do.
For me, no problem! lol
But for the Insurrance...mmm, a very bad thing if peolpe don't wear the helmet. Lost money...for them...
What can I say...if I don't wear the helmet, I feel lost!

Sbraz,
The question is
What if insurance tomorrow could prove that it cost them more money because of neck injuries due to a helmet than to pay out death benefits. As a result of needing to pay out for a lifetime quadraplegic(??- help me nurses) care compared to a lump sum death benefit.
As a result, they lobbied or petition with the economic weight of large conglomerate of corporations to make helmets illegal.
How would you feel if what you feel best doing for you; was outlawed?
The question really isn't what is most profitable in terms of legal fines and systems or insurance company profits, but what defends the individual right to choose one's own destiny be that brain dead on the scene or paralyzed for the rest of one's life on life support.
Your judgement about the guidance and execution of your own life should be up to you as long as it can't be proven that you are placing another unwilling at risk.
When we each drive or ride on the road we participate in a collective risk.
You should be able to negotiate your own risk in that situation to your satisfaction and not to external demands.
I don't want anyone to "feel lost" because the majority demand the individual goes against what they rationalize is the best course of action for themselves.
The individual is the smallest and most vulnerable minority.

just an opinion...
thanks for the dialogue.
SSoul