Home > Biker Forums > Biker Articles > WRENCHING on Viragos Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
WRENCHING on Viragos
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 02, 2006 02:59

Anyone here who has Virago know-how, please feel free to post!
I want to do as much of my own wrenching as I can and will be doing the basics.

This is a 1987 535cc
Small I know. Hopefully it will still climb hills.

DD

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 03, 2006 21:17

I'll be in the garage Saturday. Swing by and we'll do an oil change.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 03, 2006 00:08

Good Riding -- Happy Trails -- etc.etc.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 06, 2006 20:25

saxon write:
I told ya ......... got the spanners ready and waitin'

You're right!
Fingers crossed I will be on my bike this week!

Think they'd even let you pack spanners for the flight?
lol. You cheer me up Saxon! Grazi baby!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Jan 05, 2006 17:05

O Happy Day!
Looks like the Virago might be here tomorrow.
Crossing my fingers and toes!

Varoom baby!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Jan 01, 2006 11:25

Jalle53 write:
DoubleDelight write:
Hi-on a fly by=
Norty: I loved what you said! I love to bake and love to watch and participate in all things mechanical and electrical on bikes and cars, etc.
I have a problem with the virago. It isn't starting. Changed out the battery, still not starting. I am going to check the fuses first. Simple fix. I know exactly what you said about'force'. Never. : )
I have already found someone to do the pin striping. Awesome work, low, low prices.
bbl later to read more.
DD

I know this post is older and by now you may have found out the Virago line has a problem with starters they burn out because they need to be shimmed Im not sure if that is your problem , but on the 750 v-twin the 920 and the 1100 they all have that problem . You can tell its a Virago just by hearing the starter engage . Good luck with it and Ride safe .

HI, I had a virago 1000, they only made that model for 2 years, the 535 is not quite the same motor, the bigger ones did have a prob with starter to gear clearances. make up a set of jumper cables and connect directly to starter, that will tell you if starter is good or is it in wiring...other culprits are often the kill, ignition and centerstand /sidestand safety lockouts....hope this helps. Viragos handle great due to monocque chassis design..engine is an integral part of frame,...goood luck! there is a 250 version still available, bigger ones got phased out as the stars came along

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Dec 30, 2005 07:17

DoubleDelight write:
Hi-on a fly by=
Norty: I loved what you said! I love to bake and love to watch and participate in all things mechanical and electrical on bikes and cars, etc.
I have a problem with the virago. It isn't starting. Changed out the battery, still not starting. I am going to check the fuses first. Simple fix. I know exactly what you said about'force'. Never. : )
I have already found someone to do the pin striping. Awesome work, low, low prices.
bbl later to read more.
DD

I know this post is older and by now you may have found out the Virago line has a problem with starters they burn out because they need to be shimmed Im not sure if that is your problem , but on the 750 v-twin the 920 and the 1100 they all have that problem . You can tell its a Virago just by hearing the starter engage . Good luck with it and Ride safe .

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Dec 15, 2005 13:54

DoubleDelight write:

NORTY write:
DD-
The Virago model line is very durable. You may want to invite someone over that wrenches on bikes to "show you how."(I usually charge a double batch of toll house cookies!) Go to Sears and get a craftsman tool set. (You'll need *metric* sizes) of wrenches. The Japanese use even numbers for most all of their fasteners, so an 8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm are a good start. You can also get sockets (and ratchet) of the same sizes. It is best to buy a "set" as the per piece is a lot less. Screwdrivers(flat & Phillips) will also be needed. Wait for these "sets" to go on sale as they are-often.
Motorcyclists are "tinkerers" by nature,always improving/changing our bikes. Let's face it-unless you're on TV,there isn't much on TV!
Get some tools,bake some cookies,make a friend,this is what's it's all about! Good luck and get those fires out.

NORTY

Norty,
Doc is coming out to CA at christmas and will be helping me to get familiar with my Virago, still have to get it delivered! i haven't been home lately and hope to see it in my driveway on Monday...

Hmmm so what do I get when I make the Virago purr like a kitten???