Home > Biker Forums > Write articles to get free gold membership > Harley doing their home work.... Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Harley doing their home work....
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Sep 15, 2006 21:13

I went on the Harley Owners Group ride, called the Iron Pony Ride. The first stop was Billings Montana and then it was on to Cody Wyoming over, Beartooth Pass. What a great ride it was, HOG did their home work again.
The point of this article isn't the ride, that's another story. After checking in at the site I noticed 3 guys with a platform that had three small scales built into it. There was one for each tire and one for the kickstand or as the Harley tec term is "Jiffy stand". Turns out that they were gathering data to take back to the Mother ship. I being of the cat family, I had to know what was going on. They wanted the bikes to be loaded down, with and with- out the passenger, and on the kickstand and no one on. I am sure this can be good information as I have seen many misloaded bikes (not mine,of course), in my over a quarter million miles of travel. Glad to see that Harley is out in the field working on the safety issues and on that kind of problem. The Harley engineers were very friendly and informative. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Jan 02, 2007 05:54

Hi, I was just thinking about this topic with my bike as i think about packing for Wyoming in July.

I have a 1200 sportster that i got recently and had been riding a 92 Virago Yamaha 1100, which appeared to be a hell of of allot heavier than the Sportster.
Traveling up HWY 395 , you got the heavy winds and I'm all about staying on the road ......any suggestions? And thanks for the wink.Deni

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 09:42

You might find it interesting to know that the Harley engineers did the same sort of research before designing the knew engine just released for 07 models. They actually intalled computerized monitoring chips whice determined the rpm and speed of shifting for the average driver. The finding was that most of us shift at lower rpm that the engine can handle. The answer was a bigger engine w/more torque coupled to a new trans. 96 cubic-inch, 1584cc Twin Cam 96 engine with a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission and Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) on all Touring, Softail and Dyna models.

You'r right. Those Harley guys are concerned for the consumer's input.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Sep 17, 2006 14:28

If only every company took that much of an interest in it's consumers!